Local author Cathy Gohlke teaches lessons through history


ELKTON — A book is perhaps most effective when it impacts the way you think in your waking life.

Local author Cathy Gohlke knows this perhaps better than anyone, as each of her books, including her newest, “Until We Find Home,” which is set to be released this January, brings real life issues to readers through the lens of historical events.

“I’ve wanted to write since I was a little girl,” said Gohlke, a former Elkton resident. “I knew I wanted to create that magic, but I didn’t publish a novel until my 50th birthday. That was a real turning point in my life.”

Gohlke’s books revolve around people in history that face difficult situations and choices. By following their convictions and doing what is right, they offer lessons for readers coming across similar situations in today’s age.

With her newest book, Gohlke dives into the mass influx of Jewish refugees in England with the Kindertransport during World War II, and the plight of thousands who came from countries filled with suffering and death.

“I think my stories are purpose driven,” Gohlke explained. “I find a historical event that mirrors something I’m concerned about in my heart. When reading about an injustice in a historical context, it’s easier to absorb, but people can go on to take their reactions and apply them today.”

Whether it’s writing about the underground railroad and dealing with the breaking of chains both internal and external, or the plight of refugees in World War II, Gohlke isn’t afraid to tackle powerful and poignant topics that stretch across history, but for her there’s more to it than human choices.

“My work is faith based, though I didn’t set out for it to be that way,” she said. “It came naturally and I’ve never been sorry. I feel truly led to write them that way.”

But historical novels are notoriously tricky to write due to the extensive research needed to make sure every detail of history is correct. And for the most part Gohlke tries to keep history as close as it was to reality. However, she views it as an enjoyment rather than a burden.

“Research is a challenge to climb over, but I love it,” she said. “The harder thing for me is to know when to stop researching and start writing. As for the history, I don’t want to mess with it as much as possible. I don’t think it’s right.”

Now, on the cusp of her seventh book, this new novel holds a particularly special place in Gohlke’s heart. It was a book born out of struggle and recovery and strength. This book was the first book Gohlke wrote after being diagnosed with and recovering from cancer.

“I didn’t know if I’d ever be able to write again, so to me this book is a miracle. It’s a victory over cancer for me,” Gohlke said.

With appearances coming up the first weekend in next March at The Palette & the Page and at Elkton Methodist Church, Gohlke is set to have a busy schedule. But the message of her books is timeless and, at least for her, carries an important message that stretches across generations and time:

“Even if things seem too big, we can do something. No situation is too great to overcome.”


Comments